So it’s actually happening. Right at this moment I find myself as a dance student at my dream dance college. I’ve just finished my first week of my degree course, and it’s fair to say it’s been an incredible experience so far.
I never thought so much could happen in the two weeks since I left home. I’ve learnt an incredible amount about myself, working and living with other people, about college, technique, and contemporary dance in general. I’ve experienced so many emotions, you wouldn’t think it possible- elation, nerves, excitement, happiness, curiosity, exhaustion, helplessness, homesickness, and everything in between- but the word that I would use to sum the whole thing up without a doubt would be incredible.
Now that I have experienced a week of dance student life, here are some of the things that I would like to achieve this year:
– To improve my ballet technique- to go back to basics and ensure that I can maintain my turnout and posture and floor pressure and really get to grips with transference of weight in order to improve my technique in general
– To gain knowledge of different contemporary techniques and improve these physically- learn the fundamentals of contemporary technique and ensure that I can execute these properly
– To become more comfortable in improvisation classes- to not feel judged and to let go and truly improvise, rather than overthinking movement to the point where it isn’t really improvisation
– To gain experience in choreography- to not be afraid of putting ideas out there or to lead other people just because you lack the experience- choreography doesn’t really require knowledge or past experience, it is a way to express what you’re trying to say, so just do it
– To learn more about the world of contemporary dance- from choreographers, to music, to movements, to history, to techniques, to creative processes. Currently I don’t really know what I’m getting myself into, just that I am fascinated by the idea of it, so I really need to develop my awareness of the industry
– To develop my self-confidence- to not be afraid to speak up in class, to just say something because in this area it seems there is no wrong answer anyway, so what are you scared of?
– To experience as much as possible- go to every show, every workshop, every coaching session, every extra-curricular class that you can because there’s so much to be gained and learned by simply immersing yourself in this life
– To make connections- talk to people in the industry, get to know poeple, don’t be afraid to put yourself out there and be heard by other people, the sooner you get used to it the better